Per Starbäck wrote:

> At least Bogdan Butnaru has planned to write typography assisting
> software. See
> http://musicbrainz-mailing-lists.2986109.n2.nabble.com/Mechanically-assisted-updating-of-typography-on-MusicBrainz-td5978214.html
> from early this year.
>
>> song's title      →   song’s title
>> a 'quoted' text   →   a ‘quoted’ text
>> in the '90s       →   in the ’90s
>> rock 'n' roll     →   rock ’n’ roll
>
> And since actual use often is "erroneous" for apostrophe at the
> beginning, with spellings like Rock ‘n’ Roll (I've given examples in
> http://musicbrainz-mailing-lists.2986109.n2.nabble.com/Ellipses-quotation-marks-and-the-miscellaneous-guideline-td5734079i20.html#a5769484
> ) I think a style guide should explicitly mention if that should be
> "corrected" (my opinion) or not.
>
>>> The hyphen thing is harder, because AFAIK there's no way
>>> to actually see the difference (at least in the standard
>>> font MB uses) so they're kinda hard to vote on anyway.
>
> Hopefully these will become autoedits anyway. My preference is that if
> you enter titles and names with ambiguous ASCII characters there
> should somewhere on the screen appear something like
>
>   The character - is ambigous. It is usually a hyphen for hyphenated
> words, but sometimes a dash
>   or a minus sign. If you are unsure just leave it as it is.
>   [hyphen]   [en dash]   [em dash]   [minus]

Hmm, I've considered doing so before, and I may give it an attempt soon; a
Greasemonkey script that notifies the editor with a bubble, similar to the
current info-bubbles that appear next to each field.

Also, to anybody interested, Hawke and I created a table of correct,
replacement punctuation here:
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Jacobbrett/English_Punctuation_Guide