On 07/18/2011 05:30 AM, Andii Hughes wrote:
> 1. If the cover says 'X (feat. Y)' by Z, then artist credit is Z,
> title is 'X (feat. Y)'
> 2. If the cover says 'X' by Z feat. Y then artist credit is Z +
> join-phrase ' feat. ' + Y and title is 'X'
> 3. If the cover says 'X (with new singing sensation Y)' by Z, then
> artist credit is Z, title is 'X (with new singing sensation Y)'
> 4. If the cover says 'X' by Z with his best friend Y, then artist
> credit is Z + join-phrase ' with his best friend ' + Y and title is
> 'X'.
> and so on...
>
> i.e. whatever is on the cover...

+1 to all of this.

Those of us (myself, for one) who want more normalized titles can have
their tagger look at the recordings or the works instead of the tracklists.

The one downside I can see to this is that the feat. artist will not
have that release appear in their releases because they don’t have an
artist credit on it (it will only appear in relationships).  I don’t
know if that’s enough of a problem for it to mean we need an exception
guideline to the “as on the cover” concept.

—Alex Mauer “hawke”