On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 04:28 -0700, Ryan Torchia wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:17 AM, Frederic Da Vitoria
> <davito...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Not to be a complete pain, but would anybody else prefer just changing
> paper sleeve to something like "cardboard/paper sleeve".  I'm just
> thinking about a bunch of releases I have in cardstock.

That would avoid the issue of what to do with the many (CDs and LPs)
that are now identified as paper packaging when it's actually
cardboard.

I rarely have seen a (thin) paper sleeve as the main packaging (it's
common for the inner sleeve on LPs of course). I've only seen it in
magazine issues, and even then it's often light cardboard. For that
reason I'd assumed that "paper" packaging included cardboard, and have
tagged many albums (both CDs and vinyl) that way. If we just redefine
paper as you suggest, there's no need to revisit everything already
tagged as 'paper'. That would avoid invalidating existing package
values; I doubt I was the only one flagging cardboard as paper.

How prevalent is the use of paper (not cardboard) sleeves, anyways?  In
my experience, they're non-existent for official releases. Cardboard
sleeves are quite common, though, especially for low volume releases.
I'm not very familiar with other markets though.