Lemire, Sebastien-2 wrote:

> A few comments to jacobbrett
>>
>> > *Makes adding/editing ARs easier, faster and more streamlined:*
>> > For example, at the moment, if a classical performance has 12 parts and
>> 3
>> > performers (say a pianist, conductor and orchestra), the ARs need to be
>> > added to every part (36 ARs). Approval and implementation of this RFC
>> > would
>> > give us the possibility to only have 3 ARs to enter or correct.The
>> > sub-parts/movements could get the ARs through inheritance.
>> >
>> I think RFC-339 must be decided before citing this as a pro.
>

> Whether or not RFC-339 passes, it's inevitable that some form of
> inheritance will be implemented in Musicbrainz and when that time comes,
> structural changes such as what's proposed here will benefit from it.
>
>> *Regarding partial recordings on releases*
>> > There are often CDs which have partial recordings (for example most of
>> the
>> > tracks on this release which I'm currently editing: Les Grands
>> Classiques
>> > d'Edgar : Encore
>> >
>> Plus<http://musicbrainz.org/release/f8b78017-9b9a-48fa-8e9b-90310400a84b
> > >).
>> > The fact is that most of these "recorded parts" were actually recorded
>> > along with the remaining parts and released on other albums. Such
>> > recordings will simply be merged with other recordings
>> >
>> I disagree. There are obviously two distinct recordings, one of which is
>> intentionally edited--it is not useful for users to have these two
>> recordings muddled.
>

> I think you misunderstood me, there are often instances where an entire
> track is re-released on another release. It's usually because the release
> just wants to include the most important or famous movements from bigger
> classical works. There is no editing involved. These recordings should
> definitely be merged since it's the same performance, same recording, same
> performers, etc...

Ah, I understand now. Thanks for the clarification.

Lemire, Sebastien-2 wrote:

>  *NOTE*: With RFC-341, I'm only proposing the relationship to link
>> > recordings in a hierarchy similar to works. A lot of the advantages I
>> > listed above are future benefits  but they will and should be passed in
>> > separate RFCs after this one has passed.
>> >
>> Then, I have no opinion on this RFC at this time.
>
>  I don't understand what I said in my last paragraph or two to make you
> say
> you have no opinion. Did you wish I include more in this RFC? Please let
> me
> know how I can improve my proposal so that I can get approval.
>
> Sebastien

I haven't yet considered the RFC and its consequences as a whole (nor work
parts); I was just knit-picking small points of your post--your above
comment that they should be considered separate RFCs gave me no reason to
veto this RFC.

Hopefully, I'll get back to you soon with some relevant constructive
criticism. :)