lorenz pressler wrote
> now for some more difficult choices
> Martha Argerich
> Wiener Philharmoniker
> Ludwig van Beethoven
>
> now determining what is a composer and what is a performer if there is
> only one artist credited is not possible with a simple REgular EXPression,
> but i still think this is far better than
> 'Various Arstits · Martha Argerich' or
> 'Ludwig van Beethoven · Various Artists' or
> 'perf. Martha Argerich'
>
> but i would like to know what people want do with these values they want
> to extract here. I guess you already used regexp to extract this from the
> title field where this performer had been allowed to add. and then write
> it into a custom ID3 tag so that you can sort your releases in your
> personal music collection after this field?
Though I like how the ACs look I see the impossibility to
use regexp to separate composers and performers as
a big disadvantage. I certainly would like to store
composer ACs into one tag and performer ACs into
a different tag. Unfortunately I do not see a reasonable
solution taking into account that a join phrase cannot
be at the beginning of ACs.

BTW my proposal would solve this problem without
a compromise though it requires changes to the DB
scheme, web UI and tagger (to be able to receive
two separate ACs besides or instead the joined one).

Alex Mauer wrote

> I would use comma in place of the slash and semicolon in place of
> 'perf.'
I slightly prefer comma over slash and IMHO semicolon is better
than perf. (because it cannot be at the beginning of ACs) and
the middle dot which is impractical to type.

As an alternative: for typing the middle dot and other rare
characters there could be Javascript driven buttons in the
web UI.

> What about how to order the performers?
>
> I'm inclined to suggest "group, conductor, soloist(s), group, conductor,
> soloist(s)"
Good point! I like the proposal.

-----
Václav Brožík / pabouk