Çilek Koçak wrote

> I also share the concerns about definition of medley stated here
> and agree that it would be better under "a performance of" relation, but I
> also agree with caller#6, that you gave a really vague meaning to medley
> here.
> So, I came up with the idea of using the word "juxtapose" as a wider group
> that holds subitems like "Medley", "Potpourri", "Quodlibet" etc...

I'd be inclined to keep it simple and enter potpourris and quodlibets as
medleys.  My gut feeling is that creating separate subcategories for them
would generate lots of unwinnable arguments ("It's a potpourri!" "No, it's a
medley!") without adding much value to the database.

I notice, though, that you started your forum thread with a question about
how to edit some "potpuri" tracks.  It's unclear to me whether "potpuri" is
a distinct musical form, or simply the Turkish word for "medley."  If it is
a distinct form, there might be an argument for adding it -- but I couldn't
say without more information.

As for the vague definition -- hey, that's *my* vague definition you're
criticizing! ;-)  And the worst of it is, I'm starting to think you're
right.  In addition to the caller#6 gave in the forum thread -- "songs that
were written to be performed together (like e.g. concept albums / prog)" --
I've thought of another one: musical quotation.  When the Beatles play a few
bars of "La Marsellaise" at the beginning of "All You Need Is Love," that's
certainly "multiple works performed as a single continuous piece," but I
wouldn't call it a medley.

Patrick