2012/4/4 çilek <cilek.ko...@gmail.com>

>  I notice, though, that you started your forum thread with a question about
>> how to edit some "potpuri" tracks.  It's unclear to me whether "potpuri"
>> is
>> a distinct musical form, or simply the Turkish word for "medley."  If it
>> is
>> a distinct form, there might be an argument for adding it -- but I
>> couldn't
>> say without more information.
>>
> The word root is from French, so I hope some French dude would enlighten
> us in this subject. As I said in the forums I still don't know the
> technical differences (if any) and similarities between them. I wouldn't
> rely on Turkish terms and examples because most of the times they would
> contradict each other... That's why I was trying to define the English (as
> used in MB) correspondence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potpourri_%28music%29 seems pretty reliable,
as it matches http://www.larousse.fr/encyclopedie/musdico/pot-pourri/169660and
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot-pourri (this last reference only for the
spanish etymology, as wikipedia currently ignores the musical meaning or
pot pourri). It seems that pot pourri meant at least once something
slightly different from how I understand medley: a medley could be made of
just 2 songs, while a pot pourri would require a lot more songs or tunes. I
guess this difference does not warrant a separate genre in MB currently.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org