On Jul 1, 2012, at 2:34 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM, monxton
> <musicbra...@jordan-maynard.org> wrote:
>> On 30/06/2012 19:39, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:

>> As I said in the edit, there are at least two reasons why I don't like
>> it. First, because Beethoven obviously did not compose this this work.
>> But even if it was "closer" to Beethoven's work than it is, I dislike to
>> see these mashups among the list of works that Beethoven composed - it
>> just seems wrong, and I think it discredits the database.
>>
>> In any case, a work-work relationship gives more information, because it
>> tells you which of Beethoven's works is quoted. This is much more useful
>> than just setting Beethoven as the composer.
>
> Note that Beethoven is listed as a composer on the same level as 陳輝陽
> in the music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR20mI5LxSU) which
> says 作曲: 陳輝陽/貝多芬. I don't know what the booklet says, but it would be
> a bit weird if the two composers couldn't be deduced without ambiguity
> from the data we have.
>
> If we can agree on the work-work AR perhaps the rest will fall into
> place, but how broad should it be. The wording I used in the
> annotations was "includes elements of" and "incorporates part of". I
> suppose that the AR we invent should also be used for Beethoven's
> variations of Mozart compositions, how would someone with a clue about
> classical phrase the relationship between two such works?
>
> --
> Philip Jägenstedt

It's good you mentioned that. We should have some kind of marker for "original"
composers in the case of derivative works. I've mostly run into this problem
with translated works, whereas we have an AR that stipulates a translator but
we have nothing besides a normal AR for the original lyricist. Perhaps we could
add something to the work-to-work relationship that lists the original artist
credits like a work-to-recording relationship has?