On 02/19/2013 02:27 AM, symphonick wrote:

    (work) Rime of the Ancient Mariner (
    http://musicbrainz.org/work/aeffb080-56d8-36b4-b018-eb9de2fa1d76 )
        and
    (release group)* Rime of the Ancient Mariner (
    http://musicbrainz.org/release-group/f274e2a2-197e-49d9-bea2-946f95c52374
    )
        are based on
    (work)** Rime of the Ancient Mariner (
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rime_of_the_Ancient_Mariner )

    (work) All Delighted People (
    http://musicbrainz.org/work/cb8cf846-af2d-420c-a44d-6b48c232d602 )
        is based on
            (work) Sound of Silence (
    http://musicbrainz.org/work/ac967d83-36c2-3bf5-a2a6-562c4b1fdb2e )

    * assuming it's okay to enter a "concept album" as a superwork

Don't know nothing 'bout concept albums. I used the other example. :-) (you can source this, right?)

The "All Delighted People" example is maybe a grey area? You could say that it "quotes" or "references" of "interpolates" lyrics and themes from the original I guess. Or "borrows from"?
http://music.sufjan.com/album/all-delighted-people-ep

The Iron Maiden example seems pretty solidly "based on". Could be considered an "adaption" maybe? (if we got more granular)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rime_of_the_Ancient_Mariner_%28song%29

Alex / caller#6