On 16 April 2013 10:19, symphonick <symphon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/4/16 Frederic Da Vitoria <davito...@gmail.com>

>>> I'm also not a fan of 'direct recording' or 'direct audio'.
>>> I don't think we need to differentiate what came only from one
>>> microphone, pick-up, synthesiser, etc. and whether someone applied some EQ
>>> or gain to it on the way to the recorder. Borrowing heavily from what we've
>>> got, that copyright document and the existing definition of recording, I
>>> think we should do something like the following.
>>>
>>> A recording is a captured series of sounds including musical, spoken,
>>> and other sounds
>>>
>>> Recordings entered in MusicBrainz should be unique. An original sound
>>> recording is unique. If a recording incorporates existing recordings, it
>>> must be the product of mixing and/or editing to be considered unique.
>>> The wording needs working on, but I think the approach will help because
>>> it requires less of a mental leap for someone reading it the first time.
>>> It's less likely we've forgotten to include some possible configuration. It
>>> focuses on what matters, the things that define uniqueness, rather than how
>>> processed or raw it is.
>>> I know I said original was ambiguous, but I don't think it matters here,
>>> because either interpretation gives the same outcome. But any suggestions
>>> welcome
>>>

>> Would "primary recording" do?
>>

> Sounds odd to me. And I'm afraid I don't understand Tom's suggestion at
> all, even if I like the general idea. What do you think about "released"?
> "In MusicBrainz, a *Recording* is either the result of *mixing* and/or *
> editing* one or more *audio tracks*, or a released unedited recording."
> Or maybe ""In MusicBrainz, a *Recording* is a released *audio track*,
> either mixed/edited or unprocessed. See below for specific cases."

Of these two, I prefer the first. IMO The second sounds a bit too much like
anything (I know that's not what you mean) - but I do like making released
a general part of the clause. What I was trying to do, but it was too
wordy, was explain the type of differences necessary to be called a
different recording. But maybe it's unnecessarily complex.
Out of interest, would
"In MusicBrainz, a *Recording* is either the result of *mixing* and/or *
editing* one or more *audio tracks*, or a *'previously unreleased audio
track'* be better?