On Apr 16, 2013 1:35 PM, "Frederic Da Vitoria" <davito...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't this a tautology? Wouldn't "released" be enough?

Sorry didn't spot that this was aimed at me. I don't think so, it rules out
re-releases which seems like the main point of the change

> 2013/4/16 Tom Crocker <tomcrockerm...@gmail.com>
>>
>> As I say, I liked the all recordings being released part. Previously
unreleased as in previous to its release. Because an audio track can be an
existing release.

>> On Apr 16, 2013 12:03 PM, "Frederic Da Vitoria" <davito...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Funny, I liked the second best, because I believe the first does not
allow for recordings resulting from mixing/editing another recording, which
could be understood by some users as meaning that if a recording is
released then edited and this edit is it self released, the edited
recording would be considered as the same as the first in MB, which is of
course not what we want. I know, the explanations which follow in the
definition page would show that this is not what we mean. Also, I like the
second wording because it clearly states that a Recording is always
released, which I believe is what we want.

>>> In your question, I don't see the point in "previously unreleased".
Previously to what?

microphone, pick-up, synthesiser, etc. and whether someone applied some EQ
or gain to it on the way to the recorder. Borrowing heavily from what we've
got, that copyright document and the existing definition of recording, I
think we should do something like the following.

sound recording is unique. If a recording incorporates existing recordings,
it must be the product of mixing and/or editing to be considered unique.

because it requires less of a mental leap for someone reading it the first
time. It's less likely we've forgotten to include some possible
configuration. It focuses on what matters, the things that define
uniqueness, rather than how processed or raw it is.
here, because either interpretation gives the same outcome. But any
suggestions welcome

at all, even if I like the general idea. What do you think about "released"?
editing one or more audio tracks, or a released unedited recording."
either mixed/edited or unprocessed. See below for specific cases."

like anything (I know that's not what you mean) - but I do like making
released a general part of the clause. What I was trying to do, but it was
too wordy, was explain the type of differences necessary to be called a
different recording. But maybe it's unnecessarily complex.
editing one or more audio tracks, or a 'previously unreleased audio track'
be better?