2013/8/18 Lemire, Sebastien <m...@benji99.ca>

> Hi, just finally had a chance to look at the proposal. Very good work!
>
> A few points,
>
> It's unclear to me, what language should untitled works be in. My opinion
> and I've mentioned this before is that it should in most cases, for
> constituency's sake, be in English first with the other languages as
> aliases. This even though the composer might be german (ie beethoven, Bach,
> etc..), french or Italian or whatever.

The language parts still need some work. I'm not a fan of English for
everyone, and I'm not a fan of "consistency" either; I prefer that we
simply store the original title in the title field. Actually, I don't
understand why you'd want English only for untitled works anyway, since
there's no way to tag files from works (one recording can be linked to many
works and vice versa). My take on consistency in this instance is that it's
better to use the original language, same as for titled works. Also,
sometimes composers mix titled & untitled, so no matter what you can't get
full consistency. Ex. Beethoven:

Sonata quasi una Fantasia, op. 14 no 1
Grande Sonate, op. 28*
Sonate pour pianoforte no 16 en sol majeur, op. 31 no. 1
Lebewohl, Abwesenheit und Widersehn, op. 81a

using English:

Sonata quasi una Fantasia, op. 14 no 1
Grande Sonate, op. 28*
Sonata for pianoforte no. 16 in G major, op. 31 no. 1
Lebewohl, Abwesenheit und Widersehn, op. 81a

*could use a disambiguation comment, since there are a handful of works
with identical title by B.

> It wasn't clear to me either if a decision was made between "sonata for
> piano" or "piano sonata". I know they are both valid, but we should pick
> one and stick to it.

My conclusion was that it depends on the specific language and form and
instrumentation if one or the other is better. Anyway it belongs in the
CSG-language pages.

> Finally, will this proposal apply to opera, oratorio, mass, theatre,
> etc...? If not, it should be mentioned, if it does apply , more examples
> would be nice.

Yes. I believe masses are mentioned, but the stage music part is
unfinished. If I forget, remind me that this proposal should obsolete the
old opera guideline.

Yes, more examples would be nice :-) Feel free to suggest your favourites.

/symphonick