I agree that it's sometimes awkward that the update is modification time
based - for example, if you add replaygain tags to your whole library you
don't really want it all to end up with the same modification date.  Perhaps
it's worth looking into adding a feature there, since something a lot
simpler than implementing SQLite would be possible.  For now, I've never
actually done this but I expect you could edit the database by hand, since
it's stored as text.  In particular, you could delete references to songs
you want to update, or reset their mtime to something old and let mpd handle
the rest.  And of course, for move/delete cases the update <path> mechanism
should be sufficient, with enough care in picking the path so that it
doesn't have to scan all 100GB.

Jeffrey