Thanks for the suggestions all.

Rasmus: A full database update on my setup seems to take forever
(literally: I've left it running for 3 or 4 days before).

J. Alexander Treuman: Yes I've thought in the past of doing something
like your suggestion, using symlinks. I also have an 'unsorted'
directory solely for the purpose of, well, unsorted files. However,
because of my laziness this directory is massive (probably a good
40-50% the size of the entire collection).

My view is, though, that the MPD database should really allow to
perform these basic operations on it without me having to resort to
scripts, symlinks, manually playing with modification times/dates,
etc. My original thinking was that it would be nice to use something
like SQL so that it's easier to integrate MPD with other music
systems/setups that also use SQL. Whether it would actually make a
great difference in practice, I don't know...

Jeffrey: I had no idea the database was in a plain-text format! Interesting :)

--
Jonny Tyers