On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 09:31:43AM -0500, Jeffrey Middleton wrote:
> if you add replaygain tags to your whole library you don't really want
> it all to end up with the same modification date.

Why not?  If all files were modified at the same time, they should all
have the same modification time.  Tracking file changes is really the
only reason the modification time is stored at all.  Not updating it
breaks more than just mpd too.  For example, rsync uses the same
technique to determine which files have changed.  Of course it checks
file size too, but that doesn't really help when doing things like
editing ID3 tags, since doing so rarely changes the file size.

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 3:24 AM, Jonny <jonnyt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In the meantime, is there any way of selectively removing
> > songs/albums/etc from the MPD database?

What I do is use a "fake" music directory, with symlinks to my actual
music.  My "real" music directory has only a few directories, plus a
"todo" directory with music that still needs to be sorted.  In my "fake"
music directory, I have symlinks to everything in there *except* the
"todo" directory, keeping it out of my database.

It might be a bit hard to manage if you want to keep out, say, specific
albums or songs, and not just one out of a few top level directories.
But it wouldn't be too difficult to write a script to create symlinks to
everything in a given directory, excluding a subset of it's contents.