> A non hack would be the client asking the user where the music root is
> (if they even have access to it) so the client doesn't assume that the
> user wants the client to access his filesystem.

That's an extra configuration and for that reason suffers (additionally
from the extra work the user has to do in order to find and provide the
necessary info) from the problem of how/when to update this information.

        Stefan

PS: Of course access to the filesystem may no be trivial.  My main MPD
is running on a separate machine, so of course I know about
this problem.  But at least if I know "hostname+filename" I can more
easily try to access it than if I only know the hostname+portnumer.