Hi *,

I have the same problem about mpd. I need a transparent access to my setuped
instance of mpd anywhere on the network (i like to listen music from my
collection from work. No decoding and encoding only transparent data
transfer. Only then the quality of the record stays same as was in the other
mpd instance on the network. This would require implementing new TCP or UDP
port or a upgrade in protocol interface. Or another example of use - You
connect to your home wifi and wanna play newly captured files from your
notebook to your homeaudio (wireless router with mpd and USB card).

That's It.

Then you can P2P, would that be easy for you ? :)

metyl

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Steffen 'stefreak' Neubauer <
stefr...@stefreak.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 06:12:17 -0700
> Avuton Olrich <avu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > That's the point though. Why introduce this complexity when it's
> > unnecessary? Let's state a much simpler way without complicating how
> > things currently work.
> >
> > [..]
> >
> > Now, why did I say that's the point? MPD was (initially) created to be
> > simple. A few different projects had the same idea but tried to do it
> > with too much complexity. They tried to do too much all at once when
> > it was better to keep things simple and most of them have been
> > abandoned due to being unable to reach any kind of goal.
>
> I understand that.
>
> > Point is MPD can /easily/ do what you're looking for without
> > reworking a wheel.
>
> No that's not true. You can _not_ do it easily, that's my point. All
> ways you posted are complex and static. And all those things are not
> what i wanted.
>
> I don't want to only share the music on the network - there are
> ways to do that and i know it (like NFS). But how complicated is it to
> set up and maintain an NFS server compared to setting up and
> maintaining MPD? And how static is that setup? It isn't easy. It is
> easier for the developer, of course, but not for the user.
>
> I thought of something different - the MPDs would connect P2P to each
> other and tell what songs they have in their database and then could
> stream those to each other.
>
> Most of this functionality is already implemented, a client is already
> able to list all songs in the database etc.
>
> Only the ability to connect to other servers, streaming functionality,
> the ability to merge those song databases and the ability to play songs
> from this stream would have to be implemented - some other stuff too, of
> course but these are the main things that change i think. I don't see
> too much complexity in this - it would make some things simpler and
> would offer many new use-cases for MPD.
>
> I understand your concerns about the complexity of MPD too - but i
> don't see too much complexity in this. The only really critical about it
> is that the protocol would change imho. But it can be done backward
> compatible for the clients.
>
> > Also see: http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/What_MPD_Is_and_Is_Not
>
> I've seen it.
>
> > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=where+is+music+player+daemon+irc%3F
>
> Ok, only looked at the "Developement" page, didn't want
> technical support ;) http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/IRC
>
> Greetings,
> Steffen

This mess was sent using 100% recycled electrons. If you want to get rid of
this mess just turn off your computer,