On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Steffen 'stefreak' Neubauer
<stefr...@stefreak.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 06:12:17 -0700
> Avuton Olrich <avu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Point is MPD can /easily/ do what you're looking for without
>> reworking a wheel.
>
> No that's not true. You can _not_ do it easily, that's my point. All
> ways you posted are complex and static. And all those things are not
> what i wanted.
>
> I don't want to only share the music on the network - there are
> ways to do that and i know it (like NFS). But how complicated is it to
> set up and maintain an NFS server compared to setting up and
> maintaining MPD? And how static is that setup? It isn't easy. It is
> easier for the developer, of course, but not for the user.

This thread is bordering on trolling but I'm going to briefly take the
bait and never read it again. There is nothing "complex" about setting
up NFS, it takes less than 3 minutes of googling and setup on any
easy-to-use distribution; maybe 10 minutes if the user has never used
a computer before as long as the user knows how google works and can
follow instructions. Secondly, option #4 is what you're talking about,
but if the user isn't experienced enough, nor willing to take the time
to put into setting up NFS, then they wouldn't setup for MPD, much
less dlna/upnp/daap. And this is before all the crazy security risks
and precautions that would then have to be built into MPD to take
advantage of your cunning plan.
--
avuton