On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:49:23 +0100
Max Kellermann <m...@duempel.org> wrote:

> You're free to do so.  Good luck with your fork.

I _don't_ want to fork!

> What is the disadvantage of a client/server architecture?  Why does
> that contradict with "p2p mode"?

It doesn't contradict. The disadvantage is that you have to set up the
extra server for sharing your music. I think for this application a p2p
based architecture is better.

> Don't implement what you don't need.  All of the protocols you
> mentioned allow anonymous access.  NFS doesn't have authentication (at
> least v3; NFSv4 has extensions for authentication).

But if it will be integrated in MPD there is no need for a new protocol.

> However NFSv4 with file listings and tags in "virtual" file attributes
> sounds like a clever solution...  there might be more clever solutions
> involving HTTP or WebDAV.

Maybe, i don't know the internals of NFS.
If there is a good solution that already exists i have nothing against
it.
I don't think HTTP or WebDAV is a clever solution.
Why not simply do chunking of files into small segments? And let the
client request each single chunk by a defined command in the protocol or
something like that? That would be extremely simple.

And if it will be integrated into MPD there should not be made a new
protocol of course (like i already stated).

Greetings,
Steffen