On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:15:07 +0100
Max Kellermann <m...@duempel.org> wrote:

> The standard MPD protocol is good enough for providing read-only
> access to the database.  If it is not, extend it.

Yes that's correct, the MPD protocol would be very good for doing that.
This was my initial idea. If it appears that MPD ("the devs of the mpd
project") accepts it this would be the best way.

But if MPD will not accept a change to it's protocol and/or it's source
i think a fork is not the best way. Then i would design an own protocol.

> Please explain that "overhead" thing, and why your new protocol has
> less overhead than all other protocols, and why this is a problem
> which justifies a new protocol.

- most protocols are Client/Server architecture based. (mpd too, but a
  p2p mode could easily be integrated.)
- most protocols do more than i want - like listing files and folders
  or user+password authentication and writing to the file system (ftp,
  nfs, smb).
- streaming protocols (that i know) and pulseaudio are not suitable for
  this (and the sound is being recoded into another format which costs
  cpu time and reduces quality or puts more load on the network)

i don't know how upnp works but i think it gives something like file
system access too, doesn't it?

I think an integration into the mpd protocol would be the best - but
this will not happen an own protocol would be best i think.

> I'm not interested in helping with a new protocol, and neither am I
> interested in merging a new protocol, unless there are really good
> reasons for that.  I have yet to hear the first one.

I understand that. I hope you understand me too :)

Greetings,
Steffen