On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Jeff Frasca <phaed...@u.washington.edu>wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Jeffrey Middleton wrote:
>
>  I'm not too sure about the globbing question at first glance.  However,
>> refining ambiguous completion seems a prime candidate for
>> placing inside mpc. If you filter afterwards with a script, you're wasting
>> time querying for information you then waste time
>> throwing away, while mpc could easily just only list the necessary
>> directories then exit
>>

>   mpc already wastes the time and bandwidth querying the entire song list
> and filtering it.  If we push this code into mpc, we would add many,
> many lines of C string manipulation code which needs to be carefully
> memory managed.

mpc could do smarter querying of the server, and that would be the right way
> to optimize this.  I'm not having performance problems, but I'm
> running mpd locally and on a machine that is only a few years old.

This is exactly what I'm saying - mpc could easily only list what it needs
in order to provide a completion, instead of doing a list_all.  As for
performance problems... surely reading through several thousand lines
looking for matches can cause at least the kind of split-second lag that can
be annoying during tab-completion.

Jeffrey