On 2010/01/05 17:46, Jeff Frasca <phaed...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> When done in the completer code, it requires two extra fork()/exec()s of
> the sed and sort code.  The sed and sort code are more general than we
> would write, but they are also already debugged, and not that much more
> overhead for something that runs no more than once or twice in a second,
> and then only occasionally.

mpc used to have (or still has?  I'm not sure) special commands for
the bash completion.  That should be avoided if possible, because mpc
shouldn't be bloated with interactive features.  mpc isn't supposed to
be an interactive client, and I think bash+sed (as you said) might be
well enough for implementing the completion.

If something is really missing in mpc, and you come to the conclusion
that the completion can be optimized with a new mpc command, then this
command should be designed in a generic way (if possible), to make it
reusable for other mpc users.

Note that I don't use the completion code, I don't have an oponion on
that.  I'll merge patches from folks who do use it and like to care
about the code.