On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Max Kellermann wrote:

> On 2010/01/05 19:51, Jeff Frasca <phaed...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>> However, that change merely cuts down the traffic over the socket for
>> subsequent tab mashes.  Any tab mash in the top-level directory is just
>> as expensive as before.
>
> That's already a big improvement.

Then:

git pull http://sasquatch-labs.org/git/mpc.git completer

will get you the code.  The regex code is there also, if you just grab
everything (it's in a different branch).  There is second change in
there to doc/mpc.1 (I noticed a misspelling and fixed it, I figured it
would get caught in a later pull).

Again, the completer branch has both the modification to 'mpc tab' and
to the bash completion script to do directory-at-a-time completion.  I
commited them together, but the two changes work independent of each
other.  Take what you like.

> Ok, let's say we add a compile-time option to disable "interactive"
> commands (like ncmpc's --enable-mini option?).  Those on tiny embedded
> systems will have the choice.  This would raise my personal limit for
> accepting "bloaty" mpc patches significantly.

Like I said, the regex code is posted, but it builds automatically.
I'm more than happy to modify the build system so that there's an
--enable-mini option which essentially freezes the featureset where it
is (so, say, the mpc tab change above would come with --enable-mini, but
not the 'mpc radd').  I'll go ahead and add the configure switch and
post again when I'm done.  Any thoughts on the exact name for the
switch?  --enable-mini sounds good to me, and is already used by one of
the other clients with this meaning.

Jeff