Martin Högman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Whenever I send a message to certain servers, they return the classic
> message "hostname unknown" to me.

Does the hostname really exist, or not?  If it does, then you should try
to figure out why your DNS server says it doesn't.  If it doesn't exist,
then this is of course a correct error.

> I've set up the REPLYTO parameter in my shell (bash) to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], I've set the my_hdr Reply-To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] ,
> so that should be correct too...

I'm sure it doesn't matter what you set your reply-to to... you're
sending mail, not receiving it.

> Strangely, this does only happen with mutt, not with, say, pine or any
> other mail program...  Utilizing mutt1.0pre3 from a RH 6.1
> distribuion...

Mutt and Elm should use exactly the same method to send mail.  That is,
if Elm can send mail without errors, Mutt should do as well, because
they both pipe the mail directly to your local sendmail daemon.

Whereas, Pine delivers mail to whatever mail server you specify, and
that server routes it to the correct destination.  Which would explain
why Pine behaves differently.

Of course, the easy thing to do is to configure your local sendmail
daemon to simply route all mail through the same server that Pine
would've used, since that is probably the mail hub for your site
anyway.  Simply use that server as a "smart host."

--
David DeSimone   | "The doctrine of human equality reposes on this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  that there is no man really clever who has not