At  4:11 PM EDT on October 27 David DeSimone sent off:
> Rob Reid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I use rxvt 2.4.5 patched with something called "dingus", or
> > active-rxvt.
>
> Normally the right-button is used to *extend* the current selection.
> For instance, you select some text with the left-button, and then if you
> decide you really wanted more, instead of reselecting, you can click or
> drag with the right-button to modify the selection.  I use it on a very
> occasional basis.

Thanks David, and Mikko.

> > I should note that it only fully works in Linux or other OSes using
> > /proc.  It's usable in Solaris for URLs, though.
>
> Hmm, curious, why is /proc required?  Oh well..

Upon reviewing, Solaris also uses /proc, but in an incompatible way.  /proc is
used to get the current working directory of the process it's watching.  That's
needed for tricks like gv on *.ps and other file/directory tricks, but not for
URLs.

> Actually, you can; xterm allows the normal cut/paste actions to be
> performed, if you hold the SHIFT key.  Still annoying to have to
> remember that.  :)

Yes, and that's a big reason why I'm sticking with my dingified rxvt-2.4.5
instead of "upgrading" to a gnome-terminal, which I think requires shift-right
mouse button to do any magic.  Note that it also works with old eterms and gpm,
so it is NOT X specific.  (I guess you could run lynx in another virtual
terminal...)

I'm making it available here:
http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/software/active-1.0b4-SNAP2.tar.gz

I think it includes the code for rxvt-2.4.5, but no guarantees.

And here's my lobotomized-but-still-has-the-most-important-feature version for
everything but Linux:

http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/software/unlinux-active-1.0b4.tar.gz

Here's some more on dingus outside Linux:

At  3:19 PM EST on March 13 Robert Reid sent off:

--
dilemma: An unproved lemma.
Robert I. Reid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/