Hi,

Thanks for your help, folks.
This doesn't seem to be as simple as I thought.
The ''A'' - trick is a good way to go around this.

Is Mutt a "stateful" program in such a sense, that when writing a
message, you can not do anything else with the "folder index" view?

What a about changing the compose functionality so, that it would launch
just a script that would then launch an editor with all the desired
email header fields? After the composition, the script would continue
and call mutt with just the "send email" flag? But would this isolate
the new message from the Mutt functinalities like adding an attachment
and using PGP?

I think I will use the 'postpone' method like I did in Pine, or the 'Add
message' method... OR I can always have two X-terms and one instance of
Mutt in each of them. :-)

Thanks for your help!

        Tom