Mikko Hänninen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote :

> You can actually get by with *no* .muttrc, pretty much everything in
> Mutt has reasonable defaults.

When I was starting with mutt I just get Sven's config, edit hostname and
headers and run mutt. When I needed to change something I look into
documentation and change it.

> It would be nice if Mutt did have some sort of configuration tool like
> the Linux kernel "make menuconfig" -- but that shouldn't necessarily be
> part of the Mutt program itself, just an additional tool.  Even with
> that you wouldn't be able to (easily?) create hooks and such, at least
> no complex hooks, so at some point you will have to resort to config
> file editing if you'd want a really complex configuration.

I don't think so, becouse make menuconfig mess new unix users, becouse they
don't read documentation just try it and if is somethink wrong they wrote emails
to conferece.
I think configure is pretty nice. I remember time when you was manualy edit
Makefile for compiler options.

> In my opinion the best way to help newbies create their first .muttrc's
> would be a tool like the linux "make menuconfig" that could have
> different sections (basic settings, POP setup, IMAP setup, mailboxes,
> mailing lists, misc advanced settings, ...) and then have
> context-sensitive help for each setting, direct from the Mutt manual
> SGML file.  However, doing something like that is a fair bit of work,
> and I know I don't have the time to do it.

This is absolutly wrong way! Becouse if you give newbie tool to create simple
config file, they'll expect tool to create complex config file.

--
                                   Keso
                          don't worry about glory