Hi Baurjan!

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, Baurjan Ismagulov wrote:

> hi,
>
> thanks for the reply.
>
> sorry for inconvenience, forgot to escape From_ lines.
>
> seems that i've been somewhat unclear in stating the problem.
>
> my problem is NOT "how to show/hide specific headers", but rather
> "how to retain the original From_ line". for instance: when the
> message arrives to the mail server (sendmail 8.10.1 and mail.local
> from solaris 7), the From_ line in the mailbox (/var/mail/ibr) looks
> like
> < From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tue Jun 6 10:33:24 2000

First of all, that *looks* like a header from a mailing list.  From
the headers in the message I'm replying to (all From type headers):

< From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Tue Jun  6 13:27:26 2000
< X-From_: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Tue Jun 6 15:24:22 2000
< From: Baurjan Ismagulov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

the From without a colon is not the originator of the message,
obviously  The X-From_: header matches what my mail logs show (and the
colon-less From) as the originator thanks to an envelope-from as shown
here:

        by glitch.crosswinds.net (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id PAA38634
        for <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Tue, 6 Jun 2000 15:24:05 -0400 (EDT)
        (envelope-from [EMAIL PROTECTED])

> then i fetch the message using mutt's built-in pop3 support (i set
> pop_user, pop_host, and pop_delete). the From_ line becomes:
> > From ibr Tue Jun  6 10:18:29 2000

This may be an artifect caused by your POP daemon and/or MTA.  I don't
run a POP server, but I do retrieve some messages by remote that don't
arrive via usual channels (i.e. they are retrieved from a webmail
account via a perl script).  Those messages all give a Sender header
that matches my username ond domain, and masseages (read spam) without
domains get my domain name tacked onto them.

--
       _
     _|_|_