hi,

thank you all for the responses.

to summarize:
the From_ line is used in mbox folder format to specify the beginning of the [next]
message. makes sense -- mutt shows my message split into pieces if it contains lines
starting with "From " in its body. seems that there's nothing specifying the format of
the line itself, although sendmail does write the envelope ("MAIL FROM:") address
(source: cf/README from sendmail-8.10.1) and the time when the message was transferred
to mda (just guess, it is a couple of seconds later than the time stated in the
"Received:" field).

why did i want to preserve it?
my "Received:" fields are normally turned off, and i wanted to see the time the
message arrived to my server without toggling headers view.
besides, i wanted to see whether the envelope-from address would make spam tracking
easier. Anton, how did you enable envelope-from in the "Received:" field? via
confRECEIVED_HEADER? or could you please send your sendmail.cf via private mail?

thanks again,
baurjan.