Tim --

...and then Timothy Ball said...
% On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 04:47:14PM -0400, David T-G wrote:
% > How on earth is anyone getting mail now?  Can you mimic that?
%
% Most of the ppl here use kpop (kerberos pop) support in eudora, or

Ahhh...  So they really *are* popping, then.  Ugh :-)

% outlook. I myself am adding kerberos support (again) into mutt, via a
% SASL (Simple Authentication Support Layer), it does kerberos via GSSAPI.

Well, thanks!

% The practical upshot of doing it this way is that when you POP yr mail
% the body of the message is sent encrypted... and of course kerberos

Pretty nice, even if it doesn't encrypt the headers...

% allows you to log into the pop server w/o using a passwd.

A nice bonus.

%
% > I won't go into wondering why you can't fake it with fetchmail or the
% > like; I like Mikko's suggetsion about upgrading your higher-ups :-)
%
% Fetchmail is frowned upon because of the fact that fetchamil basically
% runs as a deamon.

Hmmm...  What would they say if you promised to not, and then ran it from
cron every */2 or */5 minutes? :-)

%
% > If you have access to the server, could you just read in an xterm from
% > there?  Or perhaps you could grab your mail out of /var/mail and
% > "deliver" it to $HOME somewhere...
%
% The mail server no longer allows ssh/ktelnet access to "normal" users.

I figured that they'd have done that -- first, in fact -- but then didn't
think that any company would *really* have folks popping dwn internally...
What a backup mess!

%
% Basically what I would like to see is POP support in mutt to be on the
% line of IMAP support, polling of mailhost and delivering it to an INBOX
% or something similiar.

I can imagine that...  Of course, it gets back to the whole war over
which is a download method and which is a folder implementation...

%
% Course I'm having some issues w/ pop.c. I guess it's the fact that I'm
% unfamiliar w/ the "mutt" way of doing things. One where can I add a
% ./configure option. (I am very unfamiliar w/ m4.) how do I add stuff to
% init.h, and what format should it be in. And in pop.c where does the pop
% mesgs actually get "stored" in the mailbox? Is it via the
% mx_commit_message() function near line 280?

Way outta my league :-)

%
% --timball
%
% --
% <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Obviously not once they get to management, it seems ;-)

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature