On 2000.09.26, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Lars Hecking" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Example: in general, I prefer a C locale, but occasionally I do need
>  certain non-ascii characters. So here's what I am using:
>
> $ grep LC_ ~/.muttrc
> set editor="LC_CTYPE=en_IE.ISO8859-15 vi"
> set pager="LC_CTYPE=en_IE.ISO8859-15 less -ceiM +Gg"

Me, too.  I take a different approach: I have a short wrapper script
that I use for invoking mutt.  It sets LANG, then returns LC_COLLATE to
C so that sorting works correctly. :)  As these are environmental,
they're passed down to editors and any pagers I might one day set up.

(It also intercepts newsgroup names from the command line so that nntp
patch picks them up with a minimum of fuss.)

I have no display problems in 1.3.8, either.  I'll attach the wrapper
in case anyone wants it.  I just call it "m", cause I'm a no-type kind
of guy.

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago
#!/bin/sh

LANG=en_US
export LANG

LC_COLLATE=C
export LC_COLLATE

COLORFGBG=${COLORFGBG-"green;black"}
export COLORFGBG

if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
        last=
else
        last=`eval echo \\${$#}`
fi

## Wrong way to do it
if egrep "^$last:" $HOME/.mutt/news/${NNTPSERVER}-newsrc >/dev/null 2>&1; then
        args="-f nntp://${NNTPSERVER}/$last"
else
        args="$@"
fi