On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 02:16:33AM +0200, Jens Paulus wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 08:18:35AM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 03:05:58PM +0200, Jens Paulus muttered:
> > > quotation character '> ', then I can hit gqap or gqip and I have the
> > > long line turned to a paragraph that has each line beginning with the
> > > quotation character '> ' and has width of 'textwidth' variable which is
>
> > Yes. In Emacs, C-h v fill-column shows how to set the column number
> > for wrapping. Then M-q runs fill-paragraph. C-h f fill-paragraph for
> > details.
>
> The fill-paragraph function does only adjust the line to the given
> number of columns, if I see it right. What I want is that each line
> begins with the quotation character before and after the wrapping
> action. But maybe the best thing is if I keep using vim in combination
> with mutt, I then have less problems.

Emacs will wrap lines with quote characters the way you like, but you
need to be in mail-mode.  To go into mail-mode for a particular
message, enter M-x mail-mode.  If you decide you like it and want to
go into mail-mode for every message you send from mutt, add something
like the following to your .emacs file:

;; Automatically go into mail-mode if filename starts with /tmp/mutt
(setq auto-mode-alist (append (list (cons "^\/tmp\/mutt" 'mail-mode))
                              auto-mode-alist))

If mutt doesn't store your temp buffers in /tmp/mutt*, edit the path
accordingly.  Once you're in mail-mode, use M-q to reformat a
paragraph.

You'll probably also want to go have your paragraphs wordwrap
automatically while you're editing emails.  You can do that with a
mail-mode-hook:

(add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'my-mail-mode-hook)

(defun my-mail-mode-hook ()
  (auto-fill-mode)
)

PGP signature