I've been planning to do this for a while.

It seems to me that the only time that more than two levels of sorting
is useful is when the first level is threads.  If anyone can give me a
plausible scenario where they'd want more than three, or more than two
unthreaded, I'll think about my approach.  But for the moment the right
thing to do seems to be to break threading out into its own config
variable.  So you can set

threads=forward
threads=reverse
or
threads=off

and then sort and sort_aux are what's used for secondary and tertiary
sorting, or primary and secondary if threads=off.  Make sense to people?

-Daniel

--
Daniel E. Eisenbud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We should go forth on the shortest walk perchance, in the spirit of
undying adventure, never to return,--prepared to send back our embalmed
hearts only as relics to our desolate kingdoms."
                                        --Henry David Thoreau, "Walking"