On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:31:55PM -0500, darren chamberlain
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Daniel Eisenbud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said something to this effect on
>02/06/2002:
> > I've been planning to do this for a while.
> >
> > It seems to me that the only time that more than two levels of
> > sorting is useful is when the first level is threads.  If
> > anyone can give me a plausible scenario where they'd want more
> > than three, or more than two unthreaded, I'll think about my
> > approach.  But for the moment the right thing to do seems to be
> > to break threading out into its own config variable.  So you
> > can set
> >
> > threads=forward
> > threads=reverse
> > or
> > threads=off
> >
> > and then sort and sort_aux are what's used for secondary and
> > tertiary sorting, or primary and secondary if threads=off.
> > Make sense to people?
>
> Simple, elegent, and, at least in my experience, consistent with
> how people use mutt.  Go for it!
>
> Just out of curiosity, though, is there a possibility that this
> will postpone the release of 1.4?

I hope not.  1.4 needs to get out the door.  New features can wait until
1.5.x.  This is enough of an interface change that it probably wouldn't
be a good idea to integrate it into later 1.4.x, though an addon patch
is a reasonable possibility.

-Daniel

--
Daniel E. Eisenbud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We should go forth on the shortest walk perchance, in the spirit of
undying adventure, never to return,--prepared to send back our embalmed
hearts only as relics to our desolate kingdoms."
                                        --Henry David Thoreau, "Walking"