But this isn't a problem with the SMTP headers having bad info.  This is a
problem with the HELO SMTP "handshake" having bad info.
Mutt sends the message to my local sendmail, my local sendmail attempts to
send the mail, it connects to the destination mail server and begins the
conversation with 'HELO intranet.fssi-ca.com' to identify itself before it
begins sending the message.
The problem is that many mail servers take that 'HELO' information and test
the host name to see if it's a "real" resolvable internet address.
"intranet.fssi-ca.com" is not a resolvable address because it's internal.
If I could get my process to connect to my public SMTP server instead of
trying to send it through my local sendmail, that would solve my problem.
It was suggested that I look at ssmtp but I don't see much documentation or
user following on the web for it, so I'm a little hesitant to use it.