Bob McLaren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But this isn't a problem with the SMTP headers having bad info.  This is a
> problem with the HELO SMTP "handshake" having bad info.
> Mutt sends the message to my local sendmail, my local sendmail attempts to
> send the mail, it connects to the destination mail server and begins the
> conversation with 'HELO intranet.fssi-ca.com' to identify itself before it
> begins sending the message.
> The problem is that many mail servers take that 'HELO' information and test
> the host name to see if it's a "real" resolvable internet address.
> "intranet.fssi-ca.com" is not a resolvable address because it's internal.
> If I could get my process to connect to my public SMTP server instead of
> trying to send it through my local sendmail, that would solve my problem.

No, it would mask your problem (`man band-aid`).  The real solution is to
configure your MTA to use an "acceptable" argument to the HELO command, or to
tell it to forward your mail to your ISP's smarthost.  This is possible with
sendmail or any other MTA.

Charles
Charles Cazabon                             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>