Here's the way I'm doing things: I'm using fetchmail to fetch the mail which
sends it to procmail, which puts it in the mailboxes. At least I htink that's
the way it working.

My mail dir is: /home/jerry/muttmail/inbox
and                   /home/jerry/muttmail/suse-linux

Here is my fetchmail.rc file:
 # Configuration created Sun Mar 10 05:15:59 2002 by fetchmailconf
 set logfile "/home/jerry/mail/fetchmail_log"
 set postmaster "jerry"
 set bouncemail
 set no spambounce
 set properties ""
 poll pop3.ispwest.com with proto POP3
        user 'jerryvb' there with password 'xxxxxxxx' is 'jerry' here options
 stripcr keep mda '/usr/bin/procmail #-d %Y'
 And here is my procmail.rc file:

  Please check if all the paths in PATH are reachable, remove the ones that
 # are not.

 PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
 MAILDIR=$HOME/muttmail # You'd better make sure it exists
 DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/inbox
 #LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
 #LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

 # SuSE-Linux English Mailing List
 :0
 * ^(To:|Cc:|From:|Re:|Reply-To:).*suse-linux-e@suse.(com|de)
 suse-linux

 Using the above rc files, typing "fetchmail" in a console downloads my mail
into /home/jerry/muttmail/inbox an /home/jerry/muttmailsuse-linux.

 Now, here is the first message in my inbox file: