On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:58:16PM -0500, Rob Reid wrote:
> At  7:33 PM EST on March 21 Gary Johnson sent off:

> > You're going to too much work, and I would imagine that the results
> > don't look very good.  To fix HTML e-mail, just put this in your mailcap
> > file:
> >
> >     text/html; w3m -dump %s; nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput
> >

> I've tried w3m and stripmime does just as well.  In fact, I don't want any
> fancy interpretation of HTML mail by default - it slows things down and can be
> dangerous if the HTML interpreter executes javascript, etc..

If stripmime works for you, then that's what you should use.  w3m
doesn't do javascript, etc., so it's safe.  It does slow down the
display of messages a bit, but not so much that it bothers me.

> > and this in your muttrc:
> >
> >     auto_view text/html
>
> And then if the message had a good reason to use HTML, I'd have to dig up how
> to *not* auto_view it, in order to send it to a real browser.  That's why I
> stopped using auto_view for html in the good old days before Microsoft bought
> hotmail.

That's what mutt's attachment menu is for.  Just type 'v' from the index
or pager and select the part of the message you want to view with a
browser.  My mailcap actually has these lines:

    #text/html; mutt_netscape %s; test=RunningX
    text/html; w3m %s; nametemplate=%s.html
    text/html; w3m -dump %s; nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput

I still prefer w3m as the browser because it is so much faster than
netscape, so I have the netscape line commented-out for now.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   | Spokane, Washington, USA