On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 12:40:40PM -0500, Rob Reid wrote:
> At  8:42 PM EST on March 21 Gary Johnson sent off:

> > > And then if the message had a good reason to use HTML, I'd have to dig up
> > > how to *not* auto_view it, in order to send it to a real browser.  That's
> > > why I stopped using auto_view for html in the good old days before
> > > Microsoft bought hotmail.
> >
> > That's what mutt's attachment menu is for.  Just type 'v' from the index
> > or pager and select the part of the message you want to view with a
> > browser.  My mailcap actually has these lines:
> >
> >     #text/html; mutt_netscape %s; test=RunningX
> >     text/html; w3m %s; nametemplate=%s.html
> >     text/html; w3m -dump %s; nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput
>
> Thanks.  What is mutt_netscape?

Sorry about that.  mutt_netscape is a script I wrote to make a copy of
mutt's temporary file, then launch netscape on that file and return
immediately to mutt.  If you want to look at it, it's at

    http://www.spocom.com/users/gjohnson/mutt/mutt_netscape

It also does what you describe later, i.e., it first tries to connect to
an existing netscape instance and if that fails, it starts a new
netscape instance.

> > I still prefer w3m as the browser because it is so much faster than
> > netscape, so I have the netscape line commented-out for now.

> As far as speed, this isn't from my mailcap, but I'm sure you'll get the gist:
>
> netscape "${}" & else netscape -remote "openURL(${})"
>
> If something takes a long time to start, you probably only need to start it
> once, i.e. emacs/emacsclient.  Netscape's successor galeon does even better:
> just "galeon URL" does the right thing.  Unfortunately I haven't found a way to
> do the same with Konqueror.

The speed issue I was referring to was not the time to start, but the
time to render a page.  When a page contains tables, and graphic
embellishments, and those d***ed banner ads, it can take netscape an
annoyingly long time to render it.  W3m is much faster--the page just
appears.

I use w3m as much as I can, especially for reading articles and for
browsing familiar sites where I know I won't be missing anything by not
seeing the graphics.  Otherwise I use netscape.  I'd use one of the
newer graphical browsers instead, but building one on HP-UX doesn't
sound like fun.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   | Spokane, Washington, USA