Christoph --

...and then [EMAIL PROTECTED] said...
%
% * Am Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 11:47:18AM -0500 , schrieb David T-G:
% >
% > So you had, say, messages one through four in your mailbox.  When you
% > return, they as well as a new message five are all marked old, even
% > though you've never before laid eyes on message five.  Correct?
% >
% Correct. Message one through four are morked "O" when I haven't read

Hokay.

% them and marked not if I have read them. This is how i want it. But
% message five is marked "O" although I never laid eyes on it.

That's interesting.  You say you've never seen the message before,
and I'll believe that, but forgive me if I dig on a bit more.  How does
this message get into the mailbox in question?  Does procmail deliver it
directly?  Does all mail land in $spoolfile and then get moved elsewhere?

%
% > If so, that is quite interesting.  Do you ever see 'N'ew mails in any
% > folder?  Are you using procmail or any other filtering software which
% > might be writing a Status: or X-Status: header?
% >
% I see "N"ew mails in my spool but not in the mutt-user mbox. And i am

How do mails get into the mutt-user mailbox?  Is that for incoming or
outgoing?  And do you always see new mail in $spoolfile as you expect to,
or does the problem sometimes come up there, too?

% using procmail, but it doesn't write Status or X-Status headers
% And I see "N"ew mails in the folder-list.

The folder-list doesn't count; don't worry about that.  And I didn't
really expect that procmail would write such headers, but it's worth
checking.

%
% > What type of mailfolder are you using?  For a folder =mybox, what do you
% > see when you run "ls -lF $MAIL/mybox"?
% >
% I use mbox folders.

Hokay; all I've told you, then, is valid.  Maildir, for instance, marks
its messages as old and read differently.

%
% > remove any Status: and X-Status: fields you find and then run mutt on
% > that folder?  Are the messages still old, or are they finally new?
% >
% They are all new.

Good; that part works.

HTH & HAND