On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 01:37:20AM -0400, Paul Brannan wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 07:49:40PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Top posting sends the message "I am so much more important than all
> > several hundred of you others on this list that I don't care how much of
> > your time I waste."
> >
> > Bottom posting says "I respect the others on this list and I will take a
> > little extra time to make sure I don't waste the time of all the hundreds
> > of others on this list."
>
> I disagree.  While bottom posting is appropriate for most public forums
> (because discussions on these forums generally involve a point-by-point
> debate), there is a valid use for top posting.  In particular, if
> someone sends you a long email (and it is necessary and/or appropriate
> to quote the email or a large portion of it), then replying at the top
> saves the reader the time of scrolling to the bottom to find the reply.
> Generally, this situation arises in personal emails much more so than it
> does in public forums.

Two Points - first My discussion was only about posting to lists and
newsgroups, not personal emails (where anything goes, top post away:)).

Second - Even on a long email top posting is problematic for the same
reasons already given.  Thats why you have an editor.  Delete the
extraneous portions of the long email and include only the portions
being replied to.  If the result is still long then it at least has all
of the necessary context.  To do otherwise is taking the easy way out.
Which is no great sin actually.  "See the amazing egress!"

> BTW, why did this post show up in my inbox rather than in my mutt
> folder?  My procmailrc searches for "^TO.*mutt-users", but mutt-users
> doesn't seem to be anywhere in the headers (unless I missed it somehow).
> What part of the header should I be filtering on?
>
> I also notice that neither list-reply nor group-reply works with the
> post I am responding to; I had to paste mutt-users into the Cc: line to
> reply to the list.  Any ideas why?

List reply ?  there's a LIST REPLY ?   Time for more RTM !
(I'm afraid Elm is still programmed into my fingers, just like vi. :)

--
Jeff Kinz, Director, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
copyright 1995-2002.  Use restricted to non-UCE uses. Any other use is an

    //\         eLviintuaxbilse            /\\