On Fri, 11 May 2007 or thereabouts, Kyle Wheeler came forth with:

> >> What terminal?
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ echo $TERM
> >xterm

> Heh, not quite the answer he was looking for. That's what terminal
> emulation mode your applications are using; he asked for what terminal
> you're ACTUALLY using. For example, if you use a modern xterm, often
> the most accurate $TERM description of it is xterm-256color (not
> xterm).

>  From the pictures you posted, it looks like you're using Eterm and
> gnome-terminal. Are you using any others?

Ok - sorry, I'll try that again.

Mostly Eterm when at home and KDE's konsole (not gnome). This has settings
of:

$TERM = linux
Keytab = XTerm (XFree 4.x.x)

I also use Putty on MS boxes. Not at one now but I have the $TERM set as
'linux' from memory.

I hope this information is a little better. My charset issue is consistent
on all of these terminals.

> If you refer to the output of `locale -a`, you do not have "en_NZ" as
> an option, nor do you have "en_NZ:en". Those should be changed to
> "en_NZ.utf8". And, if you're going to use UTF8, you should make sure
> you are using terminals capable of displaying UTF8 (I don't know that
> Eterm can, and gnome-terminal probably has to be configured properly
> to do so). From the pictures you posted, it looks like neither of them
> can display UTF8 characters. Try, just for grins using `uxterm`.

Tried 'uterm' [not nice, thanks Kyle :-)] and it displays the same charset
issues I have been having.

> HUH! Don't see ANSI_X3.4-1968 very often... no idea if that's a
> problem or not.

Whilst I have set many things 'knowingly', I haven't touched any of LANG
stuff at all (gone with defaults given when installing the OS I guess).

More than happy to change anything to fix this (except the country I live
in!). All good learning lessons.

Many thanks.

--
Regards,

Roland

PGP Key 0xDA39319B = BCF0 1214 BAE9 5A3D 46FC 21A6 360D 9398 DA39 319B