This has been an interesting thread to follow for someone who still
hasn't gotten his head around the locale/encoding stuff.
The following:

- U8 line I get "won" followed by an "A with a caret on top" followed by
 an apostrophe and a "t". I then get "A with caret" quote mark "reply" "A
 with caret" quote mark.

Made me think: I would have loved to see a website where all these
common encoding errors were collected in a table or a database, where
one could check: "there are 'As with carets on top' in my message
where I expected this and that character" [lookup in table] "Aha the
message is in encoding x but my reader thinks it's y". In other words:
some kind of cheat sheet "if you have many characters like this, the
error is most likely this" etc.
Anyone know of anything like that....?

Eyolf

--
        Catching his children with their hands in the new, still wet, patio,
the father spanked them.  His wife asked, "Don't you love your children?"