On 14May2007 12:24, Alain Bench <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > - L1 line I get "won't" correctly followed by a quote mark.
| > - U8 line I get "won" followed by an "A with a caret on top" followed
| >   by an apostrophe and a "t".
|
|     Fine: Those were indeed Latin-1 terminals. The day you don't see the
| A circumflex but a correct U8 line, this will mean UTF-8 term.

Might I say that printf line is enormously useful! I have just now fixed
my own unicode setup with its help.

For anyone using rxvt-unicode, this FAQ entry is very important:

http://cvs.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.html#unicode_does_not_seem_to_work

For historic reasons (now bogus) I've been running with LC_CTYPE=C and
LC_COLLATE=C in my environment, still expecting UTF-8 to render in my urxvt
terminals. I've backed off to just the LC_COLLATE setting (so "ls" and shell
globbing behave as I expect/want) and it's all good now!

Alain, thank you!
--
Cameron Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Hold up a one iron and walk.  Even God can't hit a one iron.
        - Lee Travino, on how to not get stuck by lightning.