I've been tinkering some more with this whole thing.

Once Mutt has completely loaded it works fine when poking around on
the inbox. When, however, I try to open another mailbox (regardless of
size -- sometimes 19 messages, sometimes many thousands), it waits in
the "sorting messages" stage.

A sniffer shows that there is traffic going to and from the mail
server during this step.

What precisely is Mutt doing? Is there some way to speed it up when sorting?

-j