On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 03:12:49PM +0200, lee wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Let me add that you just got me to the idea that a simple yes/no for a
> combination of recipients won't suffice: It would have to be
> always/once/no/never, meaning that for the combination of recipients
> in question, the requesting of reciepts would either always be enabled
> or for that particular message only or no reciept for the particular
> message will be requested or reciepts are never requested.
>
> No doubt that the kind of support for reciepts I have in mind could be
> used otherwise, but how someone makes use of a feature is always up to
> them.

The simplest thing (as others have already mentioned) is still
using $edit_headers and implement that in your editor. Either
directly or in a wrapper script (which could even be in C, but I
would use something faster to develop, like Shell, Perl, Python,
..) used in $editor. It would check the mail after you exit the
editor, and then ask you - based on a configuration file - if you
want to add a request, and if yes add the necessary header.

> [snip]
>
>> Wasted effort compared to an editor macro to add some line like
>> "please acknowledge receipt and respond ASAP".
>
> What makes you think that the recipient would bother to write an
> answer? It would involve even more overhead for them to manually write
> and send a response than it is to use a feature of their MUA that
> reduces the overhead to just pressing a single key --- or doesn't
> involve any overhead at all for them because they have chosen to
> always automatically send reciepts when requested.

But if the recipient doesn't care about your mail, then how does
adding a receipt request help?

>> Practice has shown that it is not best practice.
>
> Because of poor support, maybe :)

Or because it's a bad idea.

Regarding the support of requests in mutt, adding it can (or
should be; I haven't tried it and probably never will, I don't
like them) easily be done with $display_filter. Just add a
wrapper script which checks the mail for the header and if it
contains one, displays a message in the mail. Then use a macro
which pipes the mail to another script which sends the answer to
the recipient.

Simon
--
+ privacy is necessary