On May 08, 2011 at 10:47 PM +0200, Christian Ebert wrote:
$ time mairix -v -p

I bet that was my problem. I don't think I ever used -p, so there were a lot of dead messages floating around in my db. The times I'm getting now are pretty good. Notmuch seems to be faster, but the times are all low enough that I don't have a problem with any of them.

mairix -v -p
------------
real    0m17.682s
user    0m4.911s
sys             0m8.524s

notmuch new
real    0m5.152s
user    0m0.067s
sys             0m0.261s

Searches for the two showed a similar gap. Again, neither was slow enough for me to lose any sleep over.

mairix: 0m3.044s
notmuch: 0m0.410s

This is an interesting discussion though. I might play around with mairix a bit more again. I still see mu and notmuch having a major advantage of being built on proper database tools. I get a lot of errors about messages not being indexed by mairix, and that whole recommended dance of removing the lock file before a search, etc. is annoying as well. Furthermore, the thing that excites me about notmuch that the others don't have is the fact that it's built as a library. An enterprising developer could integrate it into a mail client (other than the emacs thing they have going on) and it would be pretty great in my mind. Remember, notmuch isn't just an indexing tool - it also lets you tag messages and search on tags, etc.