On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 05:10:22PM -0400, Tim Gray thus spake:
On May 08, 2011 at 10:47 PM +0200, Christian Ebert wrote:
$ time mairix -v -p

I bet that was my problem.  I don't think I ever used -p, so there were
a lot of dead messages floating around in my db.

The times I'm getting now are pretty good.  Notmuch seems to be faster,
but the times are all low enough that I don't have a problem with any of
them.

mairix -v -p
------------
real    0m17.682s
user    0m4.911s
sys             0m8.524s

notmuch new
-----------
real    0m5.152s
user    0m0.067s
sys             0m0.261s

Searches for the two showed a similar gap.  Again, neither was slow
enough for me to lose any sleep over.

mairix: 0m3.044s
notmuch: 0m0.410s

This is an interesting discussion though.  I might play around with
mairix a bit more again.  I still see mu and notmuch having a major
advantage of being built on proper database tools.  I get a lot of
errors about messages not being indexed by mairix, and that whole
recommended dance of removing the lock file before a search, etc. is
annoying as well.  Furthermore, the thing that excites me about notmuch
that the others don't have is the fact that it's built as a library.  An
enterprising developer could integrate it into a mail client (other than
the emacs thing they have going on) and it would be pretty great in my
mind.  Remember, notmuch isn't just an indexing tool - it also lets you
tag messages and search on tags, etc.

Does anyone use notmuch for FreeBSD? If so I have created a port, and would
like to try it out, but I don't have my mail locally sync'd, yet to verify
if this actually works.

Anyone willing to try out the attached shell archive? Just run /bin/sh
against the attachment, then:

cd notmuch; make install (as root, or use sudo)

Thanks,
Jason
# This is a shell archive.  Save it in a file, remove anything before
# this line, and then unpack it by entering "sh file".  Note, it may
# create directories; files and directories will be owned by you and
# have default permissions.
#
# This archive contains:
#
#       notmuch/
#       notmuch/Makefile
#       notmuch/pkg-descr
#       notmuch/distinfo
#
echo c - notmuch/
mkdir -p notmuch/ > /dev/null 2>&1
echo x - notmuch/Makefile
sed 's/^X//' >notmuch/Makefile << 'daed98e951f4e6015a65d45ec4b2a91d'
X# New ports collection makefile for:   muttils
X# Date created:                April 2 2011
X# Whom:                        Jason Helfman <jhelf...@experts-exchange.com>
X#
X# $FreeBSD$
X#
XPORTNAME=      notmuch
XPORTVERSION=   0.5
XCATEGORIES=    mail python
XMASTER_SITES=  http://notmuchmail.org/releases/
XMAINTAINER=    jhelf...@experts-exchange.com
XCOMMENT=       Mail indexing tool
XLIB_DEPENDS=   gmime-2.4:${PORTSDIR}/mail/gmime24 \
X       talloc.2:${PORTSDIR}/devel/talloc
XBUILD_DEPENDS+=        xapian-config:${PORTSDIR}/databases/xapian-core
XRUN_DEPENDS+=  xapian-config:${PORTSDIR}/databases/xapian-core
XPLIST_FILES=   bin/notmuch \
X               man/man1/notmuch.1.gz
XUSE_GMAKE=     yes
Xdo-install:
X       ${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/notmuch ${PREFIX}/bin
X       ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/notmuch.1.gz ${PREFIX}/man/man1
X.include <bsd.port.mk>
daed98e951f4e6015a65d45ec4b2a91d
echo x - notmuch/pkg-descr
sed 's/^X//' >notmuch/pkg-descr << '96faee797c242a96d3f25e49bbbd52d1'
XNotmuch is a command-line based program for indexing, searching, reading,
Xand tagging large collections of email messages.
XWWW: http://notmuchmail.org
96faee797c242a96d3f25e49bbbd52d1
echo x - notmuch/distinfo
sed 's/^X//' >notmuch/distinfo << '38ecdd5c0c83491813eed1b00316c9dd'
XSHA256 (notmuch-0.5.tar.gz) =
c7eeb95c89c5b9cb22cc0b90abce5f923c20c982d607bf32829c989e905ff1a9
XSIZE (notmuch-0.5.tar.gz) = 340156
38ecdd5c0c83491813eed1b00316c9dd
exit