Hi Patrick,
I use screen but locally. I used to access my mail on the server
through ssh/screen/mutt, but then I had trouble seeing some non-text
attachments. Sometimes I use a VNC server on my office and a client in
my laptop in order to use mutt at the server and display my
attachments correctly, but my network is not too reliable, so a local
mutt and a remote IMAP server seems to have worked best for me, with
the small annoyance of duplicated configuration files.
Regards and thanks,
Luis

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:29:49PM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Luis Mochan <moc...@fis.unam.mx> [07-26-12 22:25]:
> > I receive my email at a desktop in my office and I access it through
> > mutt at my office and remotely through my laptop using IMAP.  Thus, I
> > have configuration files at my desktop and at my laptop.  However, there
> > are parts of the configuration which should be identical, such as my
> > list of alias and a few macros.  Having several copies yields occasional
> > inconsistencies.  Is there a reasonable way to keep some configuration
> > files at my office and source them remotely from my laptop when I start
> > mutt?  Similarly, I would like to be able to update the files at my
> > office when I define a new alias at my laptop.  An alternative would be
> > to use a revision control system to update and synchronize the relevant
> > files among my computers, but I wonder if there is a simpler solution.
>
> I have my mail and mutt on a server and remotely access it so there is
> only one place for configuration files and ....  I open a tmux session,
> similar to screen, and remotely access that tmux session from where-ever.
> I even read my mail on site from another computer.
>
> --
> (paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
> http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
> http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member
> Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net

W. Luis Mochán,                      | tel:(52)(777)329-1734     /<(*)
Instituto de Ciencias Físicas, UNAM  | fax:(52)(777)317-5388     `>/   /\
Apdo. Postal 48-3, 62251             |                           (*)/\/  \
Cuernavaca, Morelos, México          | moc...@fis.unam.mx   /\_/\__/