Thanks everybody for their answers and suggestions. I have tried X
forwarding, but sometimes it is too slow (my network's fault, I
believe), so I guess I'll just keep my separate configuration files in
sync.

Regards,
Luis

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 02:26:15PM +0000, John Long wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 02:18:59PM +0000, John Long wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 08:22:20AM -0500, Luis Mochan wrote:
>
> > > Maybe this is a dumb question: as we can use IMAP to access remote
> > > mailboxes, could we also use it to access other remote files with
> > > configuration commands and 'source' them?
> >
> > No, IMAP is specifically an email protocol and isn't good for the general
> > case of files. And even if it was, you would need IMAP servers running on
> > all the other computers...
>
> I didn't explain this very well. The issue (as I understand it from reading
> 3 posts in this thread) is you want to be able to access a file wherever it
> is and open it with whatever application is appropriate. You can't usually
> do that because most of these applications can't find the file.
>
> What X forwarding does is allow you to run X applications for example a
> browser, a file manager, OpenOffice.org on some PC and actually control it
> from the PC you're using now. If you're running Mutt over SSH then it is
> going to save and read files from the remote machine. When you try to open
> an attachment that needs X (like a PDF, .doc, etc) if you have X forwarding
> set in SSH the program on the same box Mutt is already running on can open
> it, but it will display it on *your* terminal. The problem of accessing
> files remotely doesn't exist in this case because Mutt, the file you want to
> open, and the application are *all* running on the remote host, only the
> *display* part of it is being done on your local system.
>
> This is much harder to understand than to actually do. You should try and
> see if you can SSH to the Mutt host with the -X or -Y options and then start
> a program that uses X and see if you get an error about invalid display or
> whether your application pops up on your local machine. Then we can go from
> there.
>

> --
> ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
>  against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
>    and proprietary    / \    http://www.mutt.org
>      attachments            Code Blue or Go Home!

W. Luis Mochán,                      | tel:(52)(777)329-1734     /<(*)
Instituto de Ciencias Físicas, UNAM  | fax:(52)(777)317-5388     `>/   /\
Apdo. Postal 48-3, 62251             |                           (*)/\/  \
Cuernavaca, Morelos, México          | moc...@fis.unam.mx   /\_/\__/